Blog Archive

Monday, November 3, 2008

convergence of science and spirityality





by Bruce H. Lipton, PhD

2007
from BruceLipton Website

The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles is a book that brings attention to the amazing new awareness that is currently rewriting the science of biology and medicine. Until recently, conventional science has held that genes control life, a concept known as genetic determinism.

While this disempowering belief is still held as truth by the mainstream public, leading edge research in the exciting new field of epigenetics reveals a completely different truth. Genes do not control life. It is the environment, and more specifically, our perception of the environment that controls gene activity. In the end, it comes down to a simple case of “mind over matter” in controlling the fate of our lives.

My research on cloned stem cells, initiated over forty years ago, revealed the mechanisms by which perceptions created in the mind control the lives and fate of the 50 trillion living cells that comprise our bodies. Thought processes cause the brain to release information-containing neurochemical and vibrational signals that are sent to the cells. Signals sent by the brain are translated into biological responses in the cell through the action of protein “perception” switches built into the cell’s skin (membrane).

The membrane proteins that “read” and respond to these environmental signals are called receptors.

It was through my study of membrane receptors that I was led to an awareness that would radically transform my life. Though I sought science as an alternate to accepting spiritual truths, lessons learned from my stem cell cultures revealed that life was not an issue of science OR spirituality, it was an amalgam of science AND spirituality.

The reasoning behind my transformation from scientist to spiritual scientist is described in following excerpt from the Biology of Belief.


Excerpt from Epilogue: Spirit and Science

Conclusions drawn in the previous chapters of the book are based upon a quarter of a century of studying cloned cells and are grounded in the astonishing new discoveries that are rewriting our understanding of the mysteries of life.

The conclusions I offer in this Epilogue are also based upon my scientific training— they do not spring from a leap of religious faith. I know conventional scientists may shy away from them, because they involve Spirit, but I am confident in presenting them for two reasons.

One reason is a philosophical and scientific rule called Occam’s razor. Occam’s razor holds that when several hypotheses are offered to explain a phenomenon, the simplest hypothesis that accounts for most of the observations is the most likely hypothesis and should be considered first.

The new science of the magical mem-Brain in conjunction with the principles of quantum physics offer the simplest explanation that accounts for the science of not only allopathic medicine, but also for the philosophy and practice of complementary medicine and spiritual healing as well. Also, after so many years of personally applying the science I have outlined in this book, I can attest to its power to change lives.

However, I concede that while science led me to my euphoric moment of insight, the experience resembled instantaneous conversions described by mystics. Remember the biblical story of Saul who was knocked off his horse with a lightning bolt? For me, there was no lightning bolt that came forth from the Caribbean skies.

But I ran wild-eyed into the medical library because the nature of the cell’s membrane that was “downloaded” into my awareness in the wee hours of the morning convinced me that we are immortal, spiritual beings who exist separately from our bodies. I had heard an undeniable inner voice informing me that I was leading a life based not only on the false premise that genes control biology, but also on the false premise that we end when our physical bodies die.

I had spent years studying molecular control mechanisms within the physical body and at that astounding moment came to realize that the protein “switches” that control life are primarily turned on and off by signals from the environment… the Universe.

You may be surprised that it was science that led me to that moment of spiritual insight. In scientific circles, the word “spirit” is as warmly embraced as the word “evolution” is in fundamentalist circles. As you know, spiritualists and scientists approach life in vastly different ways. When life is out of whack for spiritualists, they beseech God or some other invisible force for relief. When life is out of whack for scientists, they run to the medicine cabinet for a chemical.

It is only with a drug like Rolaids™ that they are able to spell relief.

The fact that science led me to spiritual insight is appropriate because the latest discoveries in physics and cell research are forging new links between the worlds of Science and Spirit. These realms were split apart in the days of Descartes centuries ago.

However, I truly believe that only when Spirit and Science are reunited will we be afforded the means to create a better world.

No comments:

Newsletter Sign Up
Dont Forget To Checkout Our Super Deals
Copy and paste picture link